Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sta. Maria Natural Paradise

Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur
02 November 2013



While marveling at the grandeur of Sta. Maria church, one of the 4 Baroque churches inscribed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site, I learned from a local tour guide that there is a waterfalls nearby. They call it "Pinsal Falls".


I also learned that the Pinsal falls has a legend. A friendly local said that at the top of the waterfalls is where a giant foot step of the mythical Ilocano giant "Angalo" can be found. The giant left his footprint when he went off searching for his wife "Aran".

So I asked the local in Ilocano "kasano ngarud ti mapan sadiay waterfalls, manong?" - how can I get to the waterfalls? The local told me to hire a tricycle at the plaza and ask the driver to bring me to Pinsal falls.

So I went to the plaza as instructed and then get a tricycle with the help of the tourism officer there.

They said that the falls is about 7 kilometers away from the plaza and it is located at the foot of a mountain in Barangay Baballasioan.

On board a tricycle, I set-off to see the falls. I was impressed to see that the road passing through open rice fields is well-maintained.

After 35 minutes of tricycle ride, I saw the massive falls from afar and it is awesome.
According to some reviews, Pinsal Falls could be the largest in the entire Ilocos Region measuring around 85 meters high with two large streams flowing into two different basins. The water is cool and clear.
At the top of the falls can be found a number of natural pools. The biggest is said to be the footprint of the mythical Ilocano giant Angalo. There is also a hot spring that can boil an egg in about 15 minutes. It reminded me of Gunung Tangkuban Parahu in Indonesia.
Pinsal falls, I think, is a perfect place for picnic, swimming, filming and picture taking for those who love landscapes.

Truly, the Ilocos provinces are blessed with both natural and historical treasures.


--o0o--

No comments:

Post a Comment