Sunday, August 25, 2013

Exploring Aguinaldo Shrine

Province of Cavite
25 August 2013

Enhanced monsoon, tropical depression and low pressure area had encamped me at home and watched the streets turned into a lido for weeks. I've been missing my outdoor activities and my favorite photo-walk is one of them aside from hiking.
As the sun smiled on a very peaceful Sunday morning, I made my way south of Manila to the province of Cavite. From Intramuros, I took a cab to the Coastal Mall where the south bound bus are waiting.
I took a bus bound for Cavite City. It was my first time to ride a public transport going to that province. My destination was a historic monument where the Philippine Independence from Spain was declared more than a hundred years ago by Philippines very first President General Emilio Aguinaldo.
After 35 minutes of enjoyable bus ride, I reached my destination. The Aguinaldo Shrine is not too far away from Manila after all. I thought, it would take at least an hour to get there.

The place is now a museum free to all - meaning, no entrance fee but donations are accepted. It is open Tuesday to Sunday 8AM to 4PM.
I considered myself lucky. When I arrived at the place, there were no other tourists around except myself. As if the place was eagerly waiting for my arrival.

According to Wikipedia, The shrine is the ancestral home of General Emilio Aguinaldo, the first President of the First Republic of the Philippines. The house was first built in 1845 made from wood and thatch, and reconstructed in 1849. It was in this home where the general was born on March 22, 1869.
In front of the mansion is a park with a statue of General Emilio Aguinaldo riding a "caballo" and blocks of black granite where the words of the Act of The Declaration of Independence of the Filipino People are engraved.

After exploring the park, I made my way inside the mansion compound and there I gazed at the beauty of Spanish style ancient structure with the windows made of thinly polished capiz shells.
I liked so much the color combination of the mansion - RED and WHITE, my most favorite colors. I went around the house and made photographs. At the back of the house is where the body of the late General Emilio Aguinaldo lies.
House Interior with the Old Muebles
I entered through the staircase going up inside the mansion on red carpet. I was amazed by the design of the house interior. The ceiling and the floor are entirely made of hard wood and all of the muebles as well. In spanish, I would describe the interior of the mansion "Esplyndido y Grandioso".
Backyard
I should like to go up the "Torre" but the house steward said, it is closed. I had a very nice day having to explore Aguinaldo's shrine finally and for the first time.
I went to a place so important to the Philippine history full of memories. This is now a priceless souvenir to the Filipino people.
====================
====================

-----o0o-----

No comments:

Post a Comment