Monday, March 10, 2014

Explore and Discover the Sta. Monica Church of Angat

Angat, Province of Bulacan

The Sistine Chapel in Vatican City, Rome is one of the World's Treasures that I'm preparing to explore and discover someday in the near future.

Church Facade and Belfry

Little did I know that another version of the Sistine Chapel is just nearby waiting for me to explore and discover.

Church Belfry, Facade and Adjoining School Building
According to the Department of Tourism, The Sta. Monica Church in Angat, province of Bulacan is a 400-year old church, it is one of the oldest churches of the province, and one of the most beautiful churches in the Philippines. It displays a marvelous Baroque architecture and its interior replicated the famous Sistine Chapel (Bulacan Tourism).
Historical Marker
It was a humid Sunday afternoon and after learning about the Sta. Monica Church, I hurriedly prepared my gears and head on to Angat in Bulacan.
According to Wikipedia, Angat is a first class partially urban Municipality. It is approximately a hundred kilometers away from Manila.

I took a jeep bound for Divisoria and then from there I took a bus that ply the Divisoria-Angat route. It was 1400H in the afternoon and I boarded an ordinary bus since the air-con bus had just left the terminal.

It was almost a two hour bus travel from Divisoria to Angat.

Sta. Monica Church is located just in front of Angat wet market and near the Municipal Hall. It is situated along the main highway and can be seen easily.

I arrived at Angat almost 1600H already. I was hoping that the church was still open at that time because I was so eager to see the ceiling fresco-ed with paintings, replica of the famous Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Upon entering the church plaza, I noticed that the main door was closed though one of the smaller doors was open. I was so happy and thankful.

It reminded me on the same scenario when I explored the Betis Church in Pampanga. There were two Parishioners who were fixing the statue of Sta. Monica near the altar, that's why the church was open at that time.
Church Interior
I hurriedly entered the church. Upon entering, I was completely surprised and amazed of what I saw. Though it was quite dark already, I couldn't help but to feast my eyes looking at the fresco-ed ceiling of the church.
I told myself, Sta. Monica Church is the Sistine Chapel of the Philippines.
Main Altar
I moved along the center isle from the main entrance of the church towards the main altar looking at the ceiling and marveling at the paintings.
"Creation of Adam"
At the middle of the ceiling from the main entrance, I spotted an exact replica of the painting at the Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michelangelo "The Creation of Adam". 
"Santa Cruzan"
Among the paintings, I have also spotted "Santa Cruzan" and the "First Catholic Mass" in the Philippines. This, for me, made the Sta. Monica Church the "Pinoy Sistine Chapel".





I stayed inside the church marveling at its ceiling while the two Parishioners were still inside. After a few minutes, I had to leave as they were closing the church.
Augustinian Seal
Outside, I feasted my sight with the facade and architecture of this old church. The Department of Tourism estimated that the Sta. Monica church is about 400 years old by now.
Main Entrance
According to the information that I got, the church was recently renovated following its original design.

The church design is a Baroque Style.
Layers of the Church Facade
The church facade is a three story wall. I was amazed at the church old wooden door. 
Upper Portion of the Wooden Door
Wooden Door Carvings
At the right half portion of the wooden door is an image of Sta. Monica holding a cross with tears on her face. The locals there call her the "Crying Lady".

At the left half portion of the wooden door is an image of St. Augustine.
Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary
At the second layer of the facade, there is a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ at upper portion of the facade. 

The octagonal belfry is attached to the church at the right side (facing the church facade).

The structure attached to the left side of the church looked like a monastery or convent at first, but it is a school building.

Something that i failed to see was the church pulpit. Compared to other Baroque churches, the buttresses of Sta. Monica church is of regular thickness.

I am looking forward to explore the Sta. Monica church on one Saturday morning to satisfy my remaining curiosity about the church.

I am so happy to have EXPLORED and DISCOVERED a gem of Angat, Bulacan!

====================
====================


-----o0o-----

4 comments:

  1. who painted the ceiling of the church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, well written post. I would love to visit this church in Angat, Bulacan soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the pictures sir..

    ReplyDelete