Sunday, February 23, 2014

Explore Sta. Cruz Church, Manila

Sta. Cruz, City of Manila

Continuing my cheap yet exciting and fulfilling photo-walk, I decided to explore the old churches located north of my District in Sampaloc, Manila.

Old Sta. Cruz Church
Photo Source: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/hawayano/StaCruzChalbumen.jpg
After having a breakfast, I went out of my residence early to avoid the intense heat of the sun and the traffic and head on to Quiapo. I took a jeep bound for Manila City Hall and then alighted at the every-busy Plaza Miranda.
Sta. Cruz Church Facade
I gazed at the facade of the Quiapo Church and peeped inside to say good morning to the Black Nazarene. Early morning, the church was already full.

I then squeezed myself at the middle of Calle Carriedo together with early shoppers and walked towards the Carriedo LRT station.

This street could be one of the busiest anywhere in the Philippines from Monday to Sunday.

After crossing the LRT station, I immediately noticed an open plaza and a building of European Architecture.

The plaza is dedicated to Arcenio H. Lacson, a known politician in Manila. This plaza is formerly known as Plaza Goiti. Arcenio Lacson statue is at the eastern side of the plaza.
Somebody at the plaza told me that the old building (Don Román Santos Building, a neo-classical, Graeco-Roman structure) used to house the Supreme Court of the Philippines before it transferred to its present location at Taft Avenue.
Don Román Santos Building
The building currently houses the Bank of the Philippine Islands.
I also noticed some few Horse-Drawn Carriages known as "Calesa" awaiting for passengers nearby the plaza.
From the plaza, I turned right and there I found the Sta. Cruz Church.

I have yet to dig deep into the Philippine History books to know what happened to the old Sta. Cruz Church during and after the World War II.

Church Historical Marker
Some claimed that the church was spared from the bombings and some also claimed that it was heavily damaged by the bombings in 1945.
Facade and Belfry
The church that I saw, in my own opinion, is a new church. I did not see any sign or charm of the old church that I saw on the old photograph that was taken in the late 1800s.

The church that I saw on the old photograph seemed to be lost forever. Nevertheless, I was not disappointed.

Church Interior
The interior of the church is quite plain and dark at the time of my visit. I was looking for the pulpit, one of my favorite piece of an old church, but it was not there. The stained glass windows are nice.
Plaza Sta. Cruz
Aside from the Arcenio Lacson plaza located at the back of the church, another plaza known as "Plaza Sta. Cruz" and a fountain is located infront of the church. Surrounding the plaza are several business establishments and the entrance arc to the China Town.
I had a short walk along Calle Escolta and I noticed some old buildings still standing and being used for business. I learned that many of these buildings had been erected before the war in 1940s and were spared by the bombings in 1945.
Church Rear
If I had to compare the old Sta. Cruz Church with the present church, in my opinion, the architecture of the old church is by far more superior than the present one, nevertheless, the present church is a nice church and I can say, one of the many "must-see" places in Manila.

--o0o--

No comments:

Post a Comment