Sunday, May 10, 2015

Explore and Discover Rome - Day 02

City of Rome, Italy
10 May 2015

Explore and Discover BASILICA DI SANTA MARIA MAGIORRE | REPUBBLICA and S. MARIA DEGLI ENGELI E DEI MARTIRI | SPANISH STEPS | PIAZZA DE POPOLO | BASILICA S. COSMA E. DAMIANO | Revisit COLOSSEO.

It was a Sunday and as a believer, I had to fulfill my Sunday obligation at the church before anything else. In Manila, I usually attend the 0700H mass at the Manila Cathedral in Intramurous.

In Roma, there are hundreds of Basilicas scattered around the city and it was a matter of choice for me which church to go for the Sunday mass.

I decided to attend the mass at the Basilica di San Pietro. I was informed by a  priest at the Basilica square that the mass will start at 0900H. The mass for the public is at 1700H. I decided to attend the 0900H mass so that I will have more time to explore the city after.

I was surprised to find out that there are several mass celebrations starting simultaneously inside huge Basilica at different languages. There are many altars on both sides of the isle where the mass are celebrated. I tried to look for the mass in English language, unfortunately, only Spanish, Italian and Latin mass will be celebrated on that Sunday.

I chose the Italian mass and I was directed at the back of the central altar. The altar is so majestic and impressive. At both sides are the classical pipe organs.

At exactly 0900H, the mass started with the entrance hymn. Although in Italian, the entire mass was so solemn. I followed the mass in my mind with the English version. I know every part of the mass and that is why I was able to follow. I was so happy to survive the mass in Italian and thankful to be able to attend a private mass inside the Basilica. It was one-of-a-kind experience for me.

After the mass, I had a nice breakfast at the Vatican Cafe.

I started my journey from the Vatican City and move north-east to explore and discover six spots and a revisit at the Colosseo.

BASILICA DI SANTA MARIA MAGIORRE
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
I took the underground train from OTTAVIANO station. I alighted at TERMINI. My next destination was Santa Maria Maggiore church.

The church is located along Via Santa Maria Maggiore facing the Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore. From the Termini Station, I walked south-west onto Via Cavour and straight onto Via Santa Maria Maggiore.

At 1230H, I reached Santa Maria Maggiore church. The church was closed at that time but I had good time taking shots at the huge facade.

According to Wikipedia, The Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (English: Basilica of St. Mary Major, Latin: Basilica Sanctae Mariae Maioris), or church of Santa Maria Maggiore, is a Papal major basilica and the largest Catholic Marian church in Rome, Italy, from whence size it receives the appellation "major". The Basilica is located at 34 Piazza del Esquilino, some five blocks southwest of Stazione Termini.

Other churches in Rome dedicated to Mary include Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria in Aracoeli, and Santa Maria sopra Minerva, but the greater size of the Basilica of Saint Mary Major justifies the adjective by which it is distinguished from the other 25.

Pursuant to the Lateran Treaty of 1929 between the Holy See and Italy, the Basilica is within Italian territory and not the territory of the Vatican City State.However, the Holy See fully owns the Basilica, and Italy is legally obligated to recognize its full ownership thereof and to concede to it "the immunity granted by International Law to the headquarters of the diplomatic agents of foreign States". Read more.

REPUBBLICA and S. MARIA DEGLI ENGELI E DEI MARTIRI
Repubblica
From the Santa Maria Maggiore church, I walked north-east towards Termini and then walked north-west towards Piazza della Repubblica.

Piazza della Repubblica is a rotunda with a classical fountain at the middle. At the east side of the rotunda is the Santa Maria degli Angeli church and on the west side are two identical buildings quarter of a circle shape.
S. MARIA DEGLI ENGELI E DEI MARTIRI
According to Wikipedia, The Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels and the Martyrs (Latin: Beatissimae Virgini et omnium Angelorum et Martyrum, Italian: Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri) is a titular basilica church in Rome, built inside the frigidarium of the Baths of Diocletian in the Piazza della Repubblica. The Cardinal priest of the Titulus S. Mariae Angelorum in Thermis is William Henry Keeler. Read more.

SPANISH STEPS
Spanish Steps
I took a train from Repubblica towards north and alighted at Spagna. My destination was the Spanish Steps. I reached Spanish Steps at 1422H.

According to Wikipedia, The Spanish Steps (Italian: Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti) are a set of steps in Rome, Italy, climbing a steep slope between the Piazza di Spagna at the base and Piazza Trinità dei Monti, dominated by the Trinità dei Monti church at the top.

The monumental stairway of 135 steps (the slightly elevated drainage system is often mistaken for the first step) was built with French diplomat Étienne Gueffier’s bequeathed funds of 20,000 scudi, in 1723–1725, linking the Bourbon Spanish Embassy, and the Trinità dei Monti church that was under the patronage of the Bourbon kings of France, both located above — to the Holy See in Palazzo Monaldeschi located below. The stairway was designed by architects Francesco de Sanctis and Alessandro Specchi. Read more.

PIAZZA DE POPOLO
Piazza del Popolo
From the Spanish Steps, I explored west passing through cobblestone streets and reached Piazza de Popolo at 1444H.

According to Wikipedia, Piazza del Popolo is a large urban square in Rome. The name in modern Italian literally means "People's Square", but historically it derives from the poplars (populus in Latin, pioppo in Italian) after which the church of Santa Maria del Popolo, in the northeast corner of the piazza, takes its name.

The piazza lies inside the northern gate in the Aurelian Walls, once the Porta Flaminia of ancient Rome, and now called the Porta del Popolo. This was the starting point of the Via Flaminia, the road to Ariminum (modern-day Rimini) and the most important route to the north. At the same time, before the age of railroads, it was the traveller's first view of Rome upon arrival. For centuries, the Piazza del Popolo was a place for public executions, the last of which took place in 1826. Read more.

COLOSSEO
I decided to get back to Colosseo and explored the interior of the structure. From Spagna, I took a train bound south and alighted at Colosseo.

Finally, I bought a ticket for 21Eur and started to explore the interior of the building. I started exploring at the second level.
I circled the Colosseo taking shots at every good angle. Although in ruin state, the architecture is so majestic. Restoration works were in progress at the time of my visit.
I stayed at the Colosseo for the remaining hours of my day marvelling at the gradeur of every portion of the building. I was completely amazed.

BASILICA S. COSMA E. DAMIANO
Altar of Basilica S. Cosma E. Damiano
At 1751H, I decided to to leave the Colosseo and travel back to Vatican City. On my way, I passed by the Basilica S. Cosma E. Damiano and took some shots of the Foros at the other side of the road.
Ceiling and the Altar
According to Wikipedia, The basilica of Santi Cosma e Damiano is a church in Italy, located in the Roman Forum. It is one of the ancient churches called tituli, of which cardinals are patrons as deacons: the current Cardinal Deacon of the Titulus Ss. Cosmae et Damiani is Beniamino Stella, created Cardinal on 22 February 2014. The basilica, devoted to the two Greek brothers, doctors, martyrs and saints Cosmas and Damian, is located in the Forum of Vespasian, also known as the Forum of Peace. Read more.

At 1757H I started walking from the Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II towards Vatican City. Along the way, I had the chance to see the interior of Sant'Andrea della Valle. The church was open at the time. 

SANT'ANDREA della VALLE
Sant'Andrea della Valle Facade
Though the church looked simple from the outside, the FRESCO of the interior is truly amazing. 


There is a mirror on a table at the center of the isle and when I looked into the mirror, I saw the magnificent FRESCO of the church ceiling.

--o0o--

Majestic Rome
Explore and Discover Rome - Day 01
Explore and Discover Vatican - Day 03

No comments:

Post a Comment