Saturday, December 5, 2015

Exploring the Stunning Islands of Honda Bay

City of Puerto Princesa, Palawan
03 to 06 December 2015 

Honda Bay, according to Wikipedia, is a bay on the eastern shore of the island of Palawan near Puerto Princesa City in the southwestern Philippines. It is approximately 12 kilometers away from the city proper.

The bay is used for both subsistence and commercial fisheries and recreation. Boats can be rented for the day and used for travel to nearby islands, many less than 45 minutes from the shore by boat. Honda Bay is ideal for snorkeling. Starfish are commonly found near islands such as Starfish Island. Puerto Princesa is the nearest port city, and is accessible by plane.

DAY 02 - HONDA BAY ISLAND HOPPING

I woke up early and prepared my swimming gear for the island hopping tour - Starfish Island, Lu-Li Island and Cowrie Island.

After having a nice breakfast, I boarded the van and headed to Honda Bay Port. Estimated travel time from my accommodation to Honda Bay Port is 40 minutes with one stop over at a swim-wear rental shop along the way.
Photo source: http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/AdrenalineRomance/media/Palawan%20Adventure/Honda%20Bay/Fotor0608182841_zps9b475b63.jpg.html
At 0800H, we had a stop over at a swim-wear rental shop to get additional gears: goggles, rash guard, waterproofing for mobile phone, towel, aqua shoes and a pair of bread for fish feeding activity. I paid P700 for all items.

Starfish Island

At 0916H, we boarded the boat and we proceeded to the Starfish Island. There were seventeen of us including the guide. The only activity for the entire day was swimming.

We reached the island at 0945H. The Starfish Island has crystal clear waters, fine white sand, coral reefs teaming up with Starfish (Sea Star). It's a perfect place for swimming and snorkeling. I enjoyed snorkeling and I did it for the first time ever. I had fun feeding the fish with bread and taking photos of Starfish.
 

I was thinking to take photos of the colorful fish underwater but decided not too for my phone safety. I had a nice view of the coral rocks under the sea and had fun with other guests.

We stayed in the island for thirty minutes. I had minor scratches on my knees as I accidentally hit a coral rock while snorkeling.

Lu-Li Island

We left the Starfish island at 1055H and headed towards the Lu-Li Island.

According to our guide, the island is called "Lu-Li" an acronym for "Lulubog" and "Lilitaw" Filipino words that mean "sink" and "float" as the island sinks on high-tide and floats on low-tide.
 

We reached Lu-Li Island at 1117H. Lu-Li Island has a wide shore of fine sand, crystal clear waters - excellent for swimming and a diving spot. I had good time taking photos and swimming at the beach. I didn't try diving though.

At 1130H we moved to the Cowrie Island.

Cowrie Island

We reached Cowrie Island at 1211H and we had a sumptuous lunch.

According to our guide, Cowrie is named after the small-to-large sea snail, marine gastropod mollusk called "Cowrie".

The island has a number of cabanas, a pavilion and thatched-roof spa huts, all overlooking the sea and creating a beautiful, picturesque scene. Cowrie Island has recently opened to the public as an alternative to the crowded Pandan Island, situated nearby.
 

This picturesque island is ideal for picnics, camping or simply basking under the sun and lazing around the sand. I enjoyed swimming, taking photos at the sand castles and at the shores of the island.

I wanted to try the Banana boat, Jet-ski and the Flying fish but with the limited time that we had at the island, I just enjoyed the beach with the company of fellow travelers.

Finally, we left the Island at 1400H back to the city center.
 

I concluded my second day in Puerto Princesa with a nice dinner at Kinabuch's Restaurant once again feasting on a tasty grilled Tuna and Banana split.  

No comments:

Post a Comment