Saturday, December 27, 2014

Batanes Islands: Unexpected Journey to Paradise

Basco, Batanes
11 December 2014


I had been preparing to see the wonders of Yangon and the Old Bagan in Myanmar several months ago. The date had been set. Itinerary validated and plane tickets and accommodations finalized.

I was so prepared to explore, dream and discover again. I had even printed few photographs captured by NatGeo and stack them in a folder. These were supposed to be my guide when I make my own photographic masterpiece to immortalize the scene of the place.

I would say “fortunately” the blow of the wind had changed the course of my travel. Instead, I was directed on to the top of the Philippine archipelago.

It is a place made up of eleven islands that were shaped by the forces of Mother Nature for millions of years. I call it – Mother Nature’s Masterpiece!
This place could be the “least” visited in the entire Philippines because of its geographical setup making it the superhighway of many powerful storms in the past.

It’s rolling hills, fine and rocky shorelines and lighthouses can be compared to the settings of the enormously popular movies – The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit!
It is the home and refuge of the Ivatans of the Philippines. It was Batanes!

For four cold days of whistling winds and rain showers, I wandered at the islands of Batan and Sabtang feasting my eyes with magnificent landscapes of which I saw for the very first time and has no parallel in magnificence compared to any place that I had travelled in the past. Many travellers call it the “New Zealand” of the Philippines.
On the 11th of December, I took an early charter flight of the Philippine Airlines from Manila to Basco, the capital town of the province of Batanes. I was so happy to be seated at the window and watched down below the northern landscape.
I travelled for almost an hour and a half and then we landed at Basco airport. The airport can only accommodate aircrafts of not larger than a hundred sitter jet.

It was cold and drizzling outside and the wind blows at a constant speed of at least forty kilometres an hour at that time.
Upon my arrival, I was greeted by few popular photos of Batanes – The Arc of Nature, The lush green sloppy hills and lighthouses and finally, by the Stone Houses!

No comments:

Post a Comment